NOT BLOGS Other random sites.
BLOGS (updated April 2018)
Arts and culture
- Children and Books Children’s librarian Abby Kingsbury on libraries and cats (infrequent updates).
- From the Front of the Choir — Choral director Chris Rowbury on choral singing
- Indran Amirthanayagam, poet A trilingual poet living abroad.
- Iron Tongue of Midnight — Critic Lisa Hirsch on classical music
- Letter Writers Alliance — People who still write letters.
- Poetry Daily A new poem each day.
- Renewable Music — Composer Daniel Wolf on new music.
- The Rest Is Noise — Critic Alex Ross on new music.
- Warp, Weft, and Way Chinese philosophy blog
- Better Rail Travel Advocates for more passenger rail in U.S.
- Botany Photo of the Day — Pretty plant pics from UBC
- Fish Island Ah, those were the days.
- Flowscapes Carol Steinfeld on ecological pollution prevention issues and more.
- Heretic, Rebel, a Thing To Flout Liberal religion, dissent, labor, and leftist politics in the U.S.
- Our Bodies, Our Blog Boston Women’s Health Collective blog.
- Religious Education Association Progressive religious education since 1903
- Thinking, Learning, Teaching Doctoral student Joe Chee on education
- Boy in the Bands Rev. Scott Wells on Universalism and liberal Christianity (infrequent updates).
- Century Blogs Blog network of The Christian Century magazine.
- Congregational Consulting Former Alban experts hold forth (look at the sidebar).
- East of Midnight Kim Hampton’s refreshing take on liberal religion.
- Faces in the Mirror Rabbi Michael, an old friend.
- Forbidden Gospels April DeConick on non-canonical Christian texts
- UUpdates Unitarian Universalist blog aggregator.
- Wild Hunt Mostly news and analysis relating to Neo-Paganism.
- Ansible David Langford’s venerable fanzine
- Charlie’s Diary Charles Stross and friends
- eFanzines Get your fanzine fix online; no hectographs need apply.
- Fantasy and Science Fiction Author e-interviews
- Kirkus Reviews on SF Reviews by a trusted source.
- Locus Trade magazine for the sf field.
- Will Shetterly Science fiction author and leftist.
RELIGION LINKS (updated April 2018)
- Pluralism Project Tracking world religions in the U.S.; careful and balanced articles.
- 101 Zen Stories The 1919 collection compiled by Nyogen Senzaki.
- Internet Sacred Text Archive Comprehensive selection of public domain translations of major religious texts.
- Oremus Bible browser Bible search engine with New Revised Standard Version and King James.
- Koran An older translation with decent search engine.
- Theoi Greek Mythology Texts on ancient Greek religions.
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto Where I serve as associate minister of religious education.
- Unitarian Universalist Association The denomination with which I am affiliated.
- Biographies of famous Unitarians, Universalist, and Unitarian Universalists Best of several UU bio sites.
- LREDA Liberal Religious Educator’s Association.
- ICUU International Council of Unitarians and Universalists
- Friends General Conference Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in the unprogrammed tradition.
- Reform Judaism Reform Judaism in the U.S.
- Reconstructing Judaism Reconstructionist Judaism in the U.S.
- Quaker Theology Online journal.
- Louisa May Alcott, Hospital Sketches Non-fiction work, Project Gutenberg edition in epub and plain text.
- Emily Dickinson, Poems Project Gutenberg edition in epub and plain text.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Complete Works Along with other RWE information.
- Margaret Fuller, Woman in the Nineteenth Century Project Gutenberg edition in epub and plain text.
- Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, Eduction in the Home, the Kindergarten, and the Primary School Project Gutenberg edition in epub and plain text.
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden Project Gutenberg edition in epub and plain text.
- Jones Very, Essays and Poems Page images at Making of America Web site.
- Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, multiple editions.
- Hosea Ballou, Treatise on Atonement The definitive statement of classic North American Universalism, 1805.
- William Elley Channing, Unitarian Christianity One of the first sermons to claim the name Unitarian; 1819.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Divinity School Address Key statement of Transcendentalist Unitarianism, 1838.
- Theodore Parker, The Transient and Permanent in Christianity Key statement of Transcendentalist Unitarianism; 1841.
- John Dietrich, early works on humanism Sermons, pamphlets, etc., by an early humanist (non-theist) Unitarian, 1910s
MISCELLANY (updated April, 2018)
- Tales of Plush Cthulhu Watch out, Ms. Kitty Fluffington.
- Gmaps Pedometer Calculate distance of walking/running/biking routes using Google Maps.
- Inflation calculator Using CPI data from Historical Statistics of the United States and Statistical Abstracts of the U.S.
- Political Compass
- Walk Score Walkable neighborhoods, based on Google Maps.