Asides Random short bits.
Arts & culture — Everything from visual arts to general cultural commentary.
- Book culture — Having to do with books and publishing.
- Culture: new media — Social and cultural sides of blogging and other new media.
- Culture: sf & pulp lit — Middlebrow literature and the people who read it.
- Political culture
- Pop culture — Media, fashions, politics, and other silliness.
Ecology, religion, justice — Just what it says (and that’s justice, not politics, OK?).
- Eco-scripture — What the scriptures of Christianity and other world religions have to say about ecosystems (don’t be cynical, it’s more than you think).
- Ecojustice — The intersection of economic and ecological justice, and can you believe that race and class play into all that?
- Ecotheology — Ecological theology, or how religion can take an ecosystems viewpoint.
- Nature — Both Nature (capital “N”) in the Emersonian sense, and life sciences.
- Justice — You know:– peace, equal marriage rights, things like that.
Housekeeping — Updates about what’s going on with this blog.
Liberal religion — Too much about Unitarian Universalism, not enough about other spiritual progressives.
- Church administration — Maybe it’s sick, but I just love administration.
- Engaging worship — Mostly, worship is far from engaging. Maybe we could change that if we all tried.
- Marketing & church growth — I used to be a salesman, and those instincts never die.
- Religious education — Educating young people (and adults) in how to do religion.
- Tech and religion — Spiritual progressives need to move into the 21st C., technologically speaking.
- Theology — Thoughtful reflections on religious theory and praxis, from a pragmaticist standpoint.
- Youth ministry — Teenagers do religion too, you know.
Meditations — Meditative writing (not that “meditative” always means “calm”).
- Autumn watch — Watching as autumn arrives.
- Late fall — In New England, if the snow holds off we have a fifth season, late fall.
- Spring — Meditations in spring.
- Spring watch — Watching as spring arrives.
- Summer — Meditations in summer.
- Summer reading — What I read on vacation.
- Winter — Meditations in winter.
- Winter memories — Memories that return in those long dark nights.
Sense of place — Writing about places.
- Cambridge, Mass. — Self-consciously leftist, unconsciously Puritan, with great bookstores.
- Concord, Mass. — My home town.
- Geneva, Ill. — Where we lived for a year.
- New Bedford, Mass. — Rough and tough port city with lots of artists. Where we live.
- Road trips — Sometimes we like to get out of New Bedford.
Video blog (vlog) entries — A collection of the short video blog entries I posted in 2006-2007.
Articles | Pages
About this blog — policies, factoids, trivia.
All theology is local: sense of place — about places we’ve lived since this blog began.
Birds of New Bedford Harbor
Ecological theology — very short.
Evolution — the game, not the biological concept.
Folkish hymns in SLT and SJT — folk-type songs in the two current Unitarian Universalist hymnals.
Folkish songs for worship — including a few lead sheets.
New? Start here… — quick intro to the blog.
Seashells and marine invertebrates of New Bedford Harbor
Shape note hymns in SLT
Sources for the history of Universalist laypeople in New Bedford
Sources for the history of Universalist preaching and ministers in New Bedford
Sources for the history of Unity Home / North Unitarian Church in New Bedford
Sources on the general history of Universalism in New Bedford
What do Unitarian Universalists believe? — video plus text resources to answer this question.
What is a post-Christian? — attempt at a definition.
Podcamp Boston in 2007, 2008
New England Folk Festival in 2008, 2009.
Departments [deprecated] From April to November, 2007, I roughly followed this publishing schedule:
- Monday: Congregational life
- Tuesday: Stories from real life
- Wednesday: Congregational life (and marketing)
- Thursday: Theology
- Friday: Book review
- Saturday: Anything goes
- Sunday: Meditation