Sitting here at a highway rest area outside Buffalo, New York, I have a few observations about highway rest areas:
- All the rest areas on the New York State Thruway have free wifi. This is good.
- Some rest areas no longer have water fountains (it’s as if they’re trying to force you to buy bottled water). This is bad.
- The rest area on the Mass Turnpike between I-290 and I-84 has a farmers market on Saturday mornings in season. This is good.
- None of the rest areas I have stopped at today have picnic tables — if you bring your own food (as I did), you wind up sitting in your car to eat. This is bad.
- My ’93 Toyota Camry got 34.4 miles per gallon. This is good.
- At the rest area where I bought gas today, there was a TV over the gas pump, playing some stupid daytime TV show. This is bad.